The Deer Project 2017-2018 season begins to take aim against hunger!
The Deer Project is a unique program that partners hunters, processors and donors together to provide lean protein on the plates of our hungry friends and neighbors in Brown County.
It’s a simple premise, really. White tail deer are abundant in Central Texas. Hunters have tags they need to fill.
The Deer Project allows hunters to use up the rest of their tags after they’ve filled their freezer or mounted that prize buck on their wall. They simply take their legally harvested and tagged deer to one of our participating processors.
At a rate of $1.30 per pound, the processors will then grind the meat into two-pound chub packs ready to be picked up and put in the freezers of GSM. It costs the hunters nothing. The hunter tells the processor he wants to donate the deer or any portion thereof to The Deer Project. The hunters donation will become food on the table for Brown County families at risk of hunger. One deer provides approximately 100 servings of lean, healthy protein.
That’s where the donors come in. Monetary donations help cover the operational costs which include the processing. Every $100 donation provides approximately 500 meals.
5100 FM 2126
9901 Hwy 183 N.
4300 CR 278
503 Wallis St
Santa Anna, TX
200 East College
Rising Star, TX 76471
Last year's prize winners announced!
Just for donating legally harvested, tagged and field-dressed deer, a hunter could enter his or her name into a drawing for a chance to win prizes. This year's winners were:
- Eric Muirhead of Blanket won the Browning Xbolt 6.5 Creedmoor w/ Leupold VX-1 3-9 X 40 Scope* sponsored by Weakley Watson Sporting Goods and Ranch Pro Real Estate.
- Leroy Polnick of Brownwood won the family Aoudad/Hog hunt at Wheeler Ranch in Medina sponsored by Wheeler Ranch.
- Ed Robbs of Argyle won the $500 Shopping Spree to Weakley Watson sponsored by an anonymous Deer Project supporter.
- Matt Robbs of Argyle won the $450 full shoulder mount redeemable at Santa Anna Custom Processing sponsored by Santa Anna Custom Processing.
- John P. Long of Houston won two (30 oz.) RTIC Tumblers sponsored by Johnson Gun Works.
Thank you to every hunter who donated a deer to the project this year!